Eminem’s life story can be read on his skin. He has ten tattoos :
– an Eminem tattoo on his right upper arm that represents his stage name. On his right shoulder Eminem has a Hailie tattoo that is his most recent tattoo. There is a picture of Hailie smiling and ‘ Bonnie and Clyde ‘ is written beneath. It reminds us of the great complicity between father and daughter. The roses are, of course, a symbol of his everlasting love for Hailie.
– on his right arm, you can read Hailie’s name vertically. Eminem got this tattoo to honor his daughter when she was born, in 1995. You can see this tattoo very clearly on the book cover of Martin Huxley’s book (Eminem : ‘ Crossing The Line ‘, St Martin’s Press)
– on his left arm, there is a Slim Shady tattoo that is surrounded by the Ronnie R.I.P tattoo. The ‘ Ronnie RIP tattoo ‘ has been made, of course, as a tribute to his deceased uncle. This tattoo is very artistic : it is related to the ghetto life in Detroit. You can see a huge mushroom along with buildings and the eye of a whore.
– the ‘ D ‘ on his right forearm stands for Marshall’s hometown, Detroit and also for the D12 group, representing ‘ Dirty ‘
– the 12 on his left forearm represents ‘ Dozen ‘. If you put both forearms together, in addition you have ‘ D12 ‘.
– the gothic bracelet on his left wrist has no particular meaning, because Eminem forgot about the original meaning of the bracelet.
– On his right wrist, you can read ‘ Slit Me ‘ (maybe a reference to his suicidal tendencies from the past.)
– ‘ RIP Kim ‘ is located on Marshall’s stomach : the ‘ Rot In Pieces ‘ tatoo is dedicated to Kim. It pictures all the troubles Marshall went through because of Kim, including their arguments. At this time, Marshall had broken up with Kim and he didn’t intend to get back to her. ‘ Rot in Pieces ‘ also represents a grave with Kim’s name. It had something definitive in the meaning, but it is also the expression of a great pain Eminem was unable to swallow.
So if you want to understand the man and his life story, read his tattoos first !